Establishing a Fund at Brooklyn Community Foundation
By opening a Donor Advised Fund at Brooklyn Community Foundation, you can continue to support the charities you care about while ushering in a new era of Brooklyn-based philanthropy and strengthening local communities.
What is a Donor Advised Fund?
A Donor Advised Fund is a fund through which you can grow your assets tax-free and conveniently direct grants to charities in Brooklyn and beyond. Created with a single tax-deductible donation of cash, stock, or real estate, you can name your fund and give at your own pace—we manage the rest.
Benefits of a Donor Advised Fund
- Simplify your giving
- Receive an immediate tax deduction
- Give at your own pace
- Grow your Fund tax-free
- Enjoy hassle-free administration
- Recommend grants to any registered domestic nonprofit organization
Your Fund Enables You to:
- Support Organizations You Care About: Your Fund is the most efficient way to support all of the organizations you care about through one simple channel.
- Optimize Your Tax Benefits: Take an immediate deduction for up to 50% of your Adjusted Gross Income on cash gifts, or up to 30% for gifts of appreciated securities. You may also avoid capital gains by making a gift of appreciated securities. Deductions may be taken all in one year or carried over for up to five years.
- Establish a Family Legacy: Your Fund allows you to build a powerful legacy that can be shared with your spouse or partner and passed down to your children and grandchildren.
- Diversify Your Giving: Our staff of experts can send you customized research on Brooklyn nonprofits that fits your interests.
- Co-Invest with Others: Use your Fund to align your giving with the Foundation’s Community Fund and other like-minded donors.
- Classic Donor Advised Funds
($25,000 Minimum Initial Gift)
- Endowed Funds
($250,000 Minimum Initial Gift)
- Tribute & Memorial Funds
- Giving Circles
Our Service to You:
- Customized support
- Unparalleled knowledge of Brooklyn
- Due diligence and guidance on local nonprofits
- A range of Fund investment options
- Assistance with estate planning and bequests
Get Started Today:
Establishing a Fund is easy and can be set up in less than a week. Contact Donor Services to learn more:
Sarah Shannon, Director of Philanthropy & Donor Services
Julia Metro, Manager of Donor Services