New Grants Fight ICE Raids, Deportations
August 21, 2019
"We can’t have a sanctuary city if we don’t have a community. We can’t build a sanctuary city if we are not friends with our neighbors. How can we connect a city to build a stronger movement? A movement that matters and lasts."
- Donald Anthonyson, Executive Director of Families for Freedom
Last month, our donors responded to the threats of widespread ICE arrests with an outpouring of support that raised nearly $35,000 for our Immigrant Rights Fund. With those crucial funds, we were able to issue two new Immediate Response grants:
- $20,000 to New Sanctuary Coalition: Led by Ravi Ragbir, the New Sanctuary Coalition works with over 500 volunteers to provide person-to-person support to hundreds of immigrants facing detention and deportation. This includes staffing a pro se legal clinic; maintaining a bond fund to free immigrants being held in in private, for-profit, overcrowded detention centers; and expanding its community-based, citywide “Sanctuary Hood” program to organize safe spaces for immigrants at more than 100 churches, and countless businesses and homes.
- $15,000 to Families for Freedom: This New York-based multi-ethnic human rights organization is led by and for families facing deportation. Families for Freedom seeks to repeal the laws that tear apart homes and neighborhoods. Specifically, they have been fighting against laws that made misdemeanors "aggravated felonies" and introduced mandatory detention and deportation.
Additionally, thanks to the ongoing generosity of donors to our Immigrant Rights Fund, we have also deployed two Action Fund grants to support critical organizing and outreach by our nonprofit partners:
- $5,000 to UnLocal for a collaboration with fellow IRF grantees Queer Detainee Empowerment Project, BAJI, DRUM, and Make the Road New York for a convening on efforts to abolish immigrant detention centers in New York state.
- $5,000 to New York Immigration Coalition for a re-printing of the organization's Know Your Rights cards, supplies of which were completely depleted in the lead up to recent ICE raids.
Thank you so much for your contribution in support of our immigrant neighbors. We can’t do this important work without you.
Categories:Immigrant Rights Fund